It’s another round of Monday Munchies, this time combining two of my favorite things- casseroles and a comfort food.
I found this recipe off of Foodfoilio but I’ve made some adjustments to adhere to the tastes of me and my roommates. The ingredients are all easy to come by (I almost always have it all on hand- only have to run out to get the chicken!) and pretty inexpensive.
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: ~10 minutes Cook time: ~30-40 minutes
Here’s what you will need:
- A rotisserie chicken, meat shredded. Anywhere from 2-4lbs (I try to stick around 2-3)
- 10 oz of frozen mixed veggies (any kind you want- carrots suggested!)
- 10.775 oz can of potato soup
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme (original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, but that’s way too overpowering for me)
- 10-count tube of refrigerated biscuits (or 8-count of the large grands biscuits)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Combine the shredded chicken, vegetables, soup, salt, thyme, pepper, onion powder, and milk in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 oven-safe casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the casserole from the oven and take off the foil. Cover the filling with biscuits (best if they are close together, so when they expand they make a nice top crust). Bake until they are cooked through, around 15-18 minutes. The bottom will be a dumpling-like texture. If you want them cooked further, re-cover with foil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Let it cool for 5 minutes, then serve!
Some tips: I always get my rotisserie chicken at Sam’s club or Kroger- always good quality at a good price. I also try to use the onion powder, salt, and pepper in equal parts with less thyme so that it doesn’t get overpowering. I’m still trying to find a good go-to vegetarian side dish to serve with it, so if any of you have any suggestions, please let me know!